Airstrike Hits Turkish Forces in Syria, Raising Fears of Escalation
The Turkish Army suffered mass casualties in the strike, officials said,
an attack that could set off a direct conflict between Turkey and
Russia.
ISTANBUL — The Turkish Army suffered mass
casualties in an airstrike in northwest Syria late Thursday, an attack
that could dramatically change the course of the Syrian war as fears
grow of a direct conflict between Russia and Turkey, a NATO member.
At
least 33 Turkish soldiers were killed and more than 30 wounded, said
Rahmi Dogan, the Turkish governor of the southern province of Hatay,
where the Turkish casualties were arriving.
Turkish
officials said the strike had been carried out by Syrian government
forces, but Russian jets have been conducting most of the airstrikes in
the area in recent weeks. Turkish protesters in Istanbul converged on
the Russian Consulate there early Friday, chanting “Murderer Russia!
Murderer Putin!”
Turkish officials have avoided blaming the Russian government for
aggression against their forces in Syria, hoping to avoid a direct
confrontation with Russia’s much stronger military and to keep a line
open for talks with Russia’s president, Vladimir V. Putin.
Russian officials could not be reached for comment late Thursday.
President
Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey convened an emergency meeting Thursday
evening in Ankara, Turkish media reported. And Turkish forces began
retaliating Thursday against Syrian forces in northeastern Idlib
Province.
Turkey has long supported
opposition forces in Syria’s nine-year civil war against the government
of President Bashar al-Assad. Mr. Assad, backed by Russia and Iran, has
largely defeated the uprising, at a cost of hundreds of thousands of
lives and the creation of millions of refugees.
His government, backed by Russian
warplanes, is fighting in Idlib to retake the country’s last rebel-held
province. In the past three months, the intensified fighting there has
driven nearly a million people from their homes, creating a humanitarian crisis on Turkey’s border.
In
recent days, tensions between the two sides have been rising,
increasing fears of a war breaking out between Turkey and Russia, which
controls the airspace in northwestern Syria.
Mr. Erdogan has called for Syrian government and Russia forces to cease
their offensive in Idlib and to pull back from Turkish positions, which
have been encircled and cut off by Syrian government forces. He has also
called for a Turkish-controlled safe zone in the region for the
displaced civilians.
Turkey has deployed thousands of troops
into the province to stem the Syrian government advance but has been
severely hampered by the lack of air support. Russia has been conducting
a blistering air campaign across the province, bombing hospitals, schools and residential buildings, killing at least 300 people in three months.
Turkey
has asked the United States for Patriot missiles to help defend its
troops, and called for NATO to enforce a no-fly zone to protect the
nearly three million civilians in Idlib Province.
But
Washington and NATO members have so far refused to engage militarily in
northwest Syria out of reluctance to confront Russia, Western officials
said. The United States is withholding Patriot missiles until Turkey
agrees to render its Russian S400 missile system inoperable.
The United States has about 500 troops in
northeastern and southern Syria, whose main missions are to prevent the
Islamic State from returning there and to guard Syrian oil fields.
Turkey
is a NATO member, prompting fears in the West that an attack on Turkey
could require a response by allies in Europe and North America,
dramatically escalating Syria’s already complex war.
“The
attack against Turkey is an attack against NATO,” Omer Celik, the
spokesman for Mr. Erdogan’s Justice and Development Party, said on the
CNN Turk news channel. “NATO should have been with Turkey, not starting
today but from before these events. We are expecting concrete actions on
the safe zone and no-fly zone.”
There was no immediate comment from the White House, but President Trump
has made it clear that he would like to keep out of the conflict, and
has previously ordered American troops to leave Syria.
“There has not been that discussion about
re-engaging in the civil war,” he said. “We think the best path forward
is through the U.N. process that is underway.”
Several American officials, however, reacted to the airstrike on Thursday with alarm.
“The
prospects of a direct military confrontation between Turkey &
Russia in Syria are very high & increasing by the hour,” Senator
Marco Rubio, Republican of Florida, said in a tweet. Mr. Erdogan, he
said, “is on the right side here. Putin & Assad are responsible for
this horrific humanitarian catastrophe.”
Kay
Bailey Hutchison, the American ambassador to NATO, told reporters in
Washington on Thursday that “everything is on the table.”
“This is a big development,” Ms.
Hutchison said, “and our alliance is with Turkey, it is not with
Russia.” She added, “We want Turkey to understand that we are the ones
that they’ve been allied with.”
The
attack on Thursday hit Turkish troops between the towns of Al Bara and
Balyoun, south of the city of Idlib. Turkish troops have been positioned
in 12 observation posts set up over a year ago as part of a
de-escalation agreement with Russia.
A
Turkish military convoy traveling to resupply troops came under aerial
attack first, and then a building where the troops were based was
struck, Abu Yahya, a senior official of the Turkish-backed Syrian
fighting force in Idlib Province, said in an interview.
The Turkish-backed Syrian fighters have
made significant gains in battles against Syrian government forces
farther east recently. They captured the town of Saraqib on the main M5
highway through the province on Wednesday and were engaged in fierce
battles farther south on Thursday.
The Turkish Army called on its Syrian proxies to raise their readiness for operations, a Syrian media group reported.
Emotions
were running high in Reyhanli, on the Turkish side of the Syrian
border, where the casualties were brought. People gathered to donate
blood and a crowd chanted “God is Great” outside the main hospital.
The
escalation came as Western members of the United Nations Security
Council in New York implored Russia and Syria to decree a humanitarian
cease-fire in the Idlib region.
“There is more this council can and must
do to stop the suffering,” Foreign Minister Heiko Maas of Germany and Deputy Prime Minister Alexander De Croo of Belgium told the council in a
joint statement on Thursday morning.
Ursula
Mueller, the assistant secretary general for humanitarian affairs, told
council members that the deprivations facing civilians in northwest
Syria were “not humanly tolerable.” Henrietta Fore, the executive
director of Unicef, who is to visit Syria this weekend, said “we
desperately need a cessation of hostilities in northwest Syria.”
But
the Russians, who have vetoed 14 Security Council resolutions on Syria
since the insurgency began in 2011, rejected the entreaty.
Vassily Nebenzia, Russia’s ambassador to
the global body, said the only long-term solution in Idlib and the rest
of Syria was “a final and irreversible expulsion from the country of all
terrorists.”
Idlib’s three million
people include about 1.5 million opponents of the Syrian government, who
have fled to Idlib from other parts of Syria, as well as fewer than
100,000 jihadists and rebels, according to estimates. The Syrian
government and Russia refer to members of the civilian opposition and
the rebel and jihadist groups as terrorists.
Russian state news services did not
report on the strike by late Thursday, but they cited military officials
blaming Turkey for supporting militants who are targeting Russian
positions.
“The Turkish side continued to support illegal armed formations with artillery fire and reconnaissance and attack drones,” Interfax cited a rear admiral, Oleg Zhuravlev, as saying. Admiral Zhuravlev said the Russian Air Force shot down a Turkish drone.
Current Trend News, a news channel, reported
that Turkey was targeting Syrian Army troops with artillery and Russian
helicopters with antiaircraft fire in response to the strike that
killed Turkish soldiers. The report cited only unspecified “information”
it had received, not an official source.



No comments:
Post a Comment
Yahoo News, Today's News, Google News, Trend News and News of the World Now on a website called Current Trend News. if you have any information then contact me.